Gears are the essential equipment of a catcher, and taking good care of them is also important. But how to clean the catchers gear?
There are several methods to clean a catcher’s gear. For instance, with the help of a deodorized spray or wash it with hands. Each method helps to reduce the smell from the gears and keep them in a good position.
So, let’s dig in and find out the ultimate ways how to clean catcher gear.
How to Clean Catcher Gear?
As we know, every baseball player needs a catcher’s gear, and taking good care of a catcher’s hygiene is also important.
However, it is also difficult to wash or clean every part of the catcher’s gear. But we got you covered and made the process a lot easier with our step-by-step guide on how to clean catcher gear.
Wash With Hands:
Washing the catcher’s gear by hand or with the help of a machine is the most daunting method. It is also the most effective and can work best for you if you have enough time between the games.
Here is the complete process.
- Before you start cleaning the catcher’s gear, it’s important to read the manufacturer’s instructions. There must be specific guidance related to your gear. For instance, some instructions for how to clean catcher gear or which things you must avoid for cleaning. So, consider reading the instructions a bit carefully.
- After that, remove all the dirt and debris and detach all the parts that are possible to ensure each item is washed separately.
- Soak the tap water into the tap water for a while.
- After that, add some detergent to the water and rub it smoothly, or use any mild soap to clean them gently.
- Once done, make sure to clean the gear with tap water until all the soap is gone from it.
- You are all done.
Now, keep the gears in the sunlight and let it dry.
Using Deodarized Spray:
A deodorized spray is also a quick and good way to clean the catcher’s gears.
However, you must be aware that not all deodorized sprays are suitable for cleaning purposes of support equipment. That’s why you must choose the one that is especially non-corrosive so that it won’t damage your gears.
Here is the cleaning process;
- Hold your gears in hand and remove all kinds of dirt or debris from it. For instance, helmets, gloves, or masks.
- Now, get the spray and use it thoroughly over different areas of gear, especially the inner parts, so that the smell gets out of it.
- Once you are done with the spray, keep it in the sunlight for air drying.
If you opt for this method, you must be careful to deodorize the gears after and before each game.
If you need a bit deeper cleaning of your gears then you must clean it with a brush or use a hose pipe. However, this method will take a longer time to dry, which is why we recommend you opt for this method only if you have plenty of time or have alternate gears.
The cleaning process involves cleaning the catcher’s gear from the aspect.
For example, remove all the parts from each other and use a brush to remove all the debris and dirt. Later use tap water to clean each item. After that leave it in sunlight to get it dry.
Remember, don’t use any drawer or hot water to speed up the process.
Disposable wipes are the quick solution to clean catcher gear. However, you can only use them on shin guards or helmets known as hard equipment.
They are also easily accessible, even you can easily get these wipes from your nearest grocery store.
All you need is to get antiseptic wipes and clean your equipment with it.
It is also one of the quick ways and can often be used to keep gears in good condition.
How Can You Clean a Catcher Helmet?
Washing a helmet isn’t a hectic task. Although helmets don’t get dirty often, they smell
bad after some time.
In order to get rid of this situation, we recommend putting some wipes inside. However, it isn’t the permanent solution. You’ll need to wash it thoroughly after use.
Follow these steps to wash the helmet:
- Remove the straps of the helmet
- Take some wipes and clean it both from inside and outside
- Clean metal part thoroughly, if needed, use soap, too
- Rub metal part very carefully
- After doing all these, make sure to spray disinfectant inside it
How Can You Clean a Catcher’s Mask?
Maintaining the hygiene of the catcher’s mask is necessary. You must follow these steps to ensure proper hygiene:
- Always read the manufacturer’s recommendations before washing
- Don’t submerge the mask directly into the water
- Avoid using mild washing agents
- First, separate detachable parts of the mask
- Clean dirty areas using wipes
- If you have used soap for cleaning, rinse it with water
- Dry the mask, and you are good to go
How Can You Clean a Catcher Protector?
Washing and cleaning a chest protector can be hectic. It consists of two layers: the outer plastic
layer and the inner fabric layer.
- First thing first, detach straps and shoulder pads. Now, you can easily wash the fabric part of the protector in your washing machine.
- Now, cleaning the plastic layer is hectic as it will require more hard work. Firstly, dust it off so that all dirt will be removed easily. Now take some wipes and try to clean the protector From every side.
- As mentioned earlier, it is preferable to use disinfectant later.
- Other than this, you can use all general methods of cleaning. But keep in mind, try to avoid soap as it could damage clothing material or padding inside.
How To Take Good Care of Catchers Gear?
Taking good care of your catcher’s gear is the most important step to increase its lifespan. That’s why here are some of our tested tips to help you take good care of your gear.
- Replace worn-out components promptly to avoid equipment failure during a crucial play.
- Regularly clean the inside of your mitt with a damp cloth to remove dirt and debris. Remember, a clean mitt grips the ball better, leading to those highlight-reel catches.
- Inspect your helmet for cracks or damage. Even a hairline crack can compromise its protective abilities. Remember, your head is priceless – replace a damaged helmet immediately.
- Find a cool, dry place to store your gear, away from direct sunlight and heat.
- Chest protectors and catcher mitts appreciate being hung, preventing creases and sagging. So, prefer using hooks or invest in a dedicated gear rack for optimal storage.
- A broken lace doesn’t mean retirement. Learn how to replace laces yourself to save time and money.
What is the difference between baseball and softball catcher gear?
The primary differences between baseball and softball catcher gear lie in the dimensions. For instance, softball catcher gear is generally designed with smaller dimensions, reflecting the smaller ball size and pitching distances in softball. Baseball catcher gear, on the other hand, tends to be larger and more robust, catering to the faster pitch speeds and larger balls used in baseball.
How do you get the smell out of catcher’s gear?
Thorough cleaning is the key to removing the smell of the catcher’s gear. We would never encourage you to choose only one cleaning method and stick to it. You should keep changing the cleaning method depending on how much it requires. Conversely, you can use a cup of baking soda and vinegar to clean the gear. All you need is to prepare the mixture and scrub it with a vacuum – especially the inner part to remove the smell.
Can you wash a gear bag?
Washing a gear bag depends on which material it is made of. For instance, most gear bags are made of nylon, cloth, or polyester and are easily washable. So, if your bag is made of such material you can easily wash it by hand or with the help of a machine.
We all know “health is wealth.” So you shouldn’t compromise on the health of players and cleaned gears are essential to maintain hygiene.
Above mentioned methods for how to clean catcher gear will always assist you in cleaning. It is advisable to clean each part separately and keep in mind all the necessary basic steps. We hope you have found this guide helpful.